Freephone : 0333 733 12 03

or 07460707220


Gas safety checks - who needs them?

Comcat 4

You must ensure that any gas appliances (permanent or portable), and gas flues that you own and provide for use by your tenants have regular gas safety checks.

For more information see Regulation (36)(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998

Gas safety checks are needed by:

  • Landlords
  • Housing associations
  • Local authorities
  • Hotels and B&Bs
  • Colleges
  • Boarding schools
  • Hostels

In hotels and B&Bs, you must arrange an annual gas safety check for any gas appliances serving guest accommodation even if it is sited away from the guest accommodation.

Gas safety check - who can do it?

All checks must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer

I used to be a gas fitter - can I do the check myself?

No, the checks must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer . We advise that you check that the Gas Safe registered engineer is competent to work in that specific area of gas. This is clearly marked on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register registration card. Or you can check that the engineer or the business is on the Gas Safe registered website

For more information see Regulation (36)(4) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998

Can I use a non-registered engineer to fit an appliance and have it checked by the Gas Safe registered engineer?

No, a Gas Safe registered engineer must fit and check a gas appliance. It is not acceptable for a Gas Safe registered engineer to knowingly 'sign-off' gas work that has been carried out by a person who is not registered. Where this occurs, both the registered and unregistered installer may face prosecution.

Can I use a plumber to install the appliance and then have the gas work fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer?

A non-registered person may carry out 'wet work', ie install water pipes and radiators for a heating system, but any work on the gas boiler itself and the final connection of the water pipework to the boiler, must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer

Maintenance - gas appliances and flues

The requirement for landlords to provide domestic gas maintenance is distinct from the requirement for keeping gas safety records.

Effective maintenance of appliances usually involves an ongoing programme of regular/periodic inspections, together with any necessary remedial work. In the absence of specific manufacturer's instructions, effective maintenance should include as a minimum:

  • examination of the physical condition and safe functioning of appliance(s), installation pipework, ventilation and any flue for deterioration
  • carrying out performance tests
  • taking the necessary remedial action

For more information see Regulation (36)(2) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998. You must ensure that pipework is maintained in a safe condition. This will normally involve a programme of regular inspections, and any necessary repairs.

Gas Safe Register

Gas Safe Register maintain the register of businesses and operatives who are competent to undertake both piped natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) work in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and Guernsey. Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 for a gas engineering business to legally undertake gas work that is within the scope of the Regulations they must be on the Gas Safe Register.

Gas Safe registered engineers carry an identity card which consumers are encouraged to ask an engineer for before they have gas work carried out in their home. The front of the card has a photograph, a registration number and an expiry date and the reverse shows the different categories of work that the engineer is qualified to undertake, e.g. cookers, boilers, gas fires.

New businesses and engineers with no previous history or those returning to the industry who have a history of complaints or a record of unsafe gas work will be subject to a time limited probationary period.During that period they will be required to report all gas work they carry out so it can be inspected by a Gas Safe Register Inspector.

The Gas Safe Register have a team of inspectors who monitor that gas work is being undertaken competently and safely. They deal with complaints and undertake risk based proactive inspections and work closely with regulators such as HSE and Local Authorities.

Gas engineers and consumers can contact the Gas Safe Register in any of these ways: